Friday, July 14, 2017

Rumble Cup Saga

Evan Lepler chronicled this story in Week 15's Tuesday Toss. Below is a reprint of Lepler's story.

By beating the Royal in the final meeting of the regular season, the Rush retained the "Rumble Cup," a trophy that the two franchises have exchanged as a symbol of the rivalry. As Toronto GM Scott "Shooter" Hastie revealed on Twitter, it was clutch that the Rush took care of business, because the transfer of the trophy would have been difficult considering that Raina had absentmindedly forgot to bring it to the game.

Raina explained what happened. "Shooter's tweet is accurate," he admitted.



"I woke up late from a nap prior to our game and in my haste to get ready, I left the cup on the mantle. So in the huddle before the game, I reminded the guys of the importance of the matchup and then added 'Also, we have to win this game because I left the Cup at home!' Not quite 'Win one for the Gipper,' but it got the job done so I'm sure Knute Rockne would approve.”

One wonders if Raina’s girlfriend and housemate was rooting for the Royal on Saturday, as she apparently is not a fan of the Cup being prominently displayed in their shared home.

"The Cup proudly sits on the mantle in our house mainly because my girlfriend hates it," said Raina. "It stayed there all of the last offseason and the plan is to keep it there indefinitely. She tries to take it down every now and then, but I always put it back."
Rumble Cup [via]
The Rush and Royal match up two more times in the 2017 AUDL season.

Though I'll refrain from offering any relationship advice, I will note that the Rumble Cup could be at stake again before long if the Royal can find their way into a matchup with the Rush in the playoffs. If that transpired, the Cup would have more riding on it than ever before.

##


No comments: